4 based on 34 reviews
The Arboretum of Szarvas is on the outskirts of town Szarvas along the biggest horseshoe lake of river Harmas-Koros, where the weather is very extreme. Its area is 82 hectares and it consists of five collections of arboraceous plants. Among these collections the oldest and most valuable one is the romantic landscape garden on 42 hectares, which was established by the count Pal Bolza (1861-1947)
The Szarvas Botanical Garden (Arboretum, Pepi-kert) is a nature reserve managed by the Corvinus University of Budapest. It contains a large arboretum, thousands of trees, bushes, flowers, mushrooms and other greenery. It also has an educational kitchen garden and a beautifully manicured park. The park started as an effort of reforestation in the early 19th century by a caring landlord, whose nickname was Pepi (hence the Garden's current nickname). With the help of an expert gardener, plans were made to develop the park, import specific trees and bushes; subsequent generations imported additional examples from the Americas, Africa and Asia, so the Garden has an incredibly varied vegetation. Today, it is a protected national treasure and walking through it is well worth an afternoon.
4.5 based on 7 reviews
The Koros-Maros National Park, or more exactly its Directorate managing the nature protection activities, was established on 16 January 1997 as the seventh national park of Hungary in order to preserve the nature and landscape of the Southern Tiszantul.
Hidden gem off the highway. Huge areas, animals are in enclosures resembling their natural habitat pretty closely. Lots of space to roam and explore, movies to watch, picnic sites to enjoy a snack. Perfect with kids. Gift shop has useful items, cute plush animal replicas.
4 based on 8 reviews
It is customary for countries to calculate the geographic center. I never understood why, but it is done, and with frequency. This place, commemorated by a windmill-shaped monument (reminiscent of the original, demolished a hundred years ago). Next to it, there is a huge Hungarian flag blowing in the wind and a few steps to the North , a carved wooden arch. The entire monument is on a quiet bend of a side branch of the river Koros. It is suitable for peaceful contemplation or as the start of a relaxing nature walk.
While this "geographic center" was the center of the Carpathian basin, the place occupied by Greater Hungary, after the dismemberment inflicted on the country by the Treaty of Trianon (at the end of WWI), and the armistice at the completion of WWII, the current geographic center of the much diminished country is elsewhere, many miles to the Northwest (latitude 47 degrees 11 seconds;longitude 19 degrees 30 seconds).
4 based on 5 reviews
A Slovak group of settlers built the original church in 1722; of flimsy material, the church was rebuilt in 1729 and again in 1759. The current building was erected in 1788, under the leadership of Samuel Tessedik, a transformational pastor, who with fellow pastor, Daniel Boczko led the community to prosperity and growth. Since its foundation, the church has been remodeled and updated on several occasions, most recently in 1988 and 2009. However, the steeple, the altar, the pulpit and the organ are the original items. The painting behind the altar represents the Ascension and was painted by Andras Zellinger in 1780. As in many Evangelical churches, interior decoration is sparse.
4 based on 2 reviews
This is a very well-preserved mill that was actually a working mill until 1962. It is called a dry mill because, as opposed to water-powered mills, this mill was powered by men or domesticated animals (oxen, horses, etc.). It was built in 1836 and it remins in working condition. It is housed in a traditional rural house with thatched roofs, adobe walls and rustic doors, windows and ceilings. It is open Tuesday through Sunday, from 1:00 to 5:00 pm, between April 1st and October 31st. A token entrance fee is required.
4 based on 2 reviews
Hungary suffered much during WWII. Toward the end of the war it was occupied by the German Army and in the last year of the war over 400,000 Hungarian Jews, Gypsies and other "undesirables" were transported by cattle-cars to Auschwitz and similar extermination camps. The end of the war brought another, similarly awful occupation: the Soviet Army and its barbaric legions occupied the country and stayed for the next five decades. This modern sculpture brings together contemporary composition, mixed media and symbolism. The sculptor, Árpád Mihály, used local materials (wood and wattle) and incredible imagination. The sculpture, consisting of two vertical wooden columns, supports a thatched roof, similar to that seen on churches in Transylvania (Erdely); hammered into the columns are dozens of nails, with the names of the many local victims of the war written on the nail heads.
3.5 based on 2 reviews
The statue of the She-wolf nursing Romulus and Remus is a fundamental part of the founding of Rome. This statue, located on the front steps of the Bolza Castle in Szarvas, Hungary, is curiously out of place. The Bolza family, which built and inhabited the castle, traced its ancestry to Italy and wanted to make that amply clear to the surrounding populace. Today, the castle is a museum and the statue of the she-wolf and her adopted children is a part of Szarvas' history. As you stroll through the Castles Gardens by the river Koros, enjoy the Sunshine and think how much Hungary was a melting pot well before the term was invented.
4 based on 1 reviews
While the Protestant congregation of Szarvas started around 1918, the current church was completed in 2009 and opened for services on Pentecost Saturday.
The architecture simulates rural construction from the Southeast region of Hungary snf presents a very colorful exterior. Services are held every Sunday at 10:30 am and can be followed on cable TV (Szarvasi Kábeltelevízió) or radio (Rádió Szarvason [105,4 MHz]).
4 based on 1 reviews
This Museum is named after Samuel Tessedik, a Slovak protestant pastor and the leader of a group of Slovak settlers that came to Szarvas towards the end of the 18th century. He was an influential religious leader, a teacher that influenced the culture of the town and the region and a community leader who contributed to the betterment of Szarvas and its economic infrastructure. Under his leadership the first Evangelical church was built and the first agricultural school of the region was started. The museum now occupies the building previously erected for the agricultural school in 1791. It was built in an eclectic style and renovated in 1872. The collection includes geological and archaeological finds of the region, and expands on agricultural objects, practices and instruments. These include more than 700 pieces of the Dr. Doman Imre collection. There is a separate exhibit of cultural events from Szarvas and its surroundings. The museum is open all year around, Tuesday through Sunday, from 10 am to 4 pm. There is a nominal entrance fee.
4 based on 1 reviews
The New Lutheran Church was built at the end of the 19th century, to keep pace with the rapidly growing Lutheran congregation. The Old Lutheran Church, still in existence today, couldn't accommodate anymore the size of the congregation. Construction started in 1894 and was completed in 1897. The design is a basic Gothic architecture, with Neo-Romanic decorative details. A tall steeple, and Classical Gothic windows with beautiful stained glass windows emphasize the builders skills and accomplishment. The cross-like structure still contains the original altar, pulpit, pews and organ, all in prime condition. The large painting behind the altar represents Jesus on the cross: it was painted by Gusztav Veres. The center of the stained glass represents on one side, Martin Luther and on the other, Philip Melanchton, two giants of the Reform movement. The church was last renovated in 1987-1988.
ThingsTodoPost © 2018 All rights reserved.